Mumbai: Two Arrested in Connection with Teen’s Death After Consuming Shawarma

Mumbai, 9th May 2024: Following the death of a 19-year-old man in Mumbai after consuming chicken shawarma purchased from a local stall, authorities have taken swift action by apprehending two vendors allegedly responsible for the incident, according to an official statement.

The deceased, identified as Prathamesh Bhokse, purchased the food item from the accused vendors’ stall in the Trombay area on May 3. Unfortunately, on May 4, Bhokse experienced severe stomach pain and vomiting, prompting him to seek medical attention at a nearby municipal hospital.

Despite receiving initial treatment, Bhokse’s condition worsened, leading his family to rush him to the civic-run KEM Hospital on May 5. However, his health continued to deteriorate, prompting another visit to KEM Hospital on Sunday, where he was admitted for further evaluation.

Upon receiving notification from hospital authorities, the police initiated an investigation, resulting in the registration of an FIR against unidentified individuals under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code, including endangering life or personal safety (IPC 336) and sale of noxious food or drink (IPC 273).

Bhokse passed away on Monday, prompting authorities to escalate the case. Subsequently, the two food vendors, identified as Anand Kamble and Ahmed Sheikh, were arrested and charged with various IPC sections, including culpable homicide not amounting to murder (IPC 304).

The swift response from law enforcement underscores the seriousness with which authorities are addressing this incident, emphasizing the importance of food safety regulations and public health standards.