Mumbai, 31 March 2022: National Institute of Industrial Engineering, Mumbai held an interaction with stakeholders at its campus in Mumbai today, to chart the way forward for the new Centre of Excellence in Logistics and Supply Chain Management and to gather suggestions to make Centre’s mission viable and beneficial to all stakeholders.
The Centre was inaugurated at NITIE, Mumbai in September last year, by Union Minister for Commerce and Industry Shri Piyush Goyal. The Centre has been set up to contribute to cutting-edge research, knowledge-building and capacity building in Logistics and Supply Chain Management, through applied research and development activities.
The interaction was inaugurated by Director, NITIE, Prof. Manoj K. Tiwari. Prof. Hema Date, Dean (Student Affairs & Placements) and Professor – Analytics and Data Science, who is also the coordinator for Centre of Excellence in Logistics & SCM gave a presentation on the Centre.
During the course of the discussion, several important issues specifically in the area of logistics and supply chain were touched upon, including Prime Minister’s vision of cutting down logistics cost from 15%-16% to 8% of GDP and how the Centre can strengthen the monitoring and analysis to optimize complex logistics operations.
The stakeholders present at the interaction included members of the business community, involved in supply chain and logistics operations, from sectors such as maritime, shipping, oil and gas, multimodal transport operations and energy. Media too were present for the interaction.
The Centre will act as a driving force to train and launch top quality programs to disseminate advanced knowledge and promote Digitisation, Analytics, and IoT Application and Decision Support Systems through Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning applications and Digital Twin and Control towers, to strengthen the monitoring and analysis of complex logistics operations. It aims to provide expertise in Logistics and Supply Chain Management education and skill development in the contemporary business environment, focusing on nurturing and developing ethos, values, and practices of the Indian Management system blended with the agility of the Global Management practices.
Some of the major objectives of Centre of Excellence are:
- Capacity Creation in the field of Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Skill Development and knowledge creation
- Meeting Prime Minister’s national objective of cutting down Logistics Cost from 15-16% to 8% of the GDP
- Carry out research projects in the areas of Logistics and Supply Chain Management using Digitisation, Analytics, AI ML, Real-time decision making, Industry 4.0 and Blockchain technologies
- Implement industry-wide solutions in the field of Analytics, IoT Application through Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning applications and decision support systems
- Strengthen the monitoring and analysis to optimize complex logistics operations
More details on the Centre can be found here.
You may also like to read this.