Mumbai, 21 December 2022: Meesho – India’s only true e-commerce marketplace – had a banner year in 2022 as we achieved several new milestones on our mission to Democratize Internet Commerce for Everyone. We set three sale records this year, each topping the previous one, with value-seeking consumers from all corners of the country choosing our everyday low prices and wide assortment.
An increasing number of MSMEs from Maharashtra have joined Meesho in the past year as a result of the company’s industry-first initiatives such as zero commission and zero penalty. Over 300 sellers became crorepatis in the last 12 months while ~6,000 sellers became lakhpatis from Maharashtra. This year, there was also a 40% increase in suppliers onboarded from the state, of which ~60% started their e-commerce journey with Meesho. Top products preferred by shoppers in Maharashtra were bluetooth headphones & earphones, sarees, smart watches, extension boards and cotton bedsheets.
With e-commerce steadfastly gaining traction across geographies and socioeconomic backgrounds, Meesho continues to boost access and affordability for the country’s heterogenous customer base. Here are some key highlights capturing how India shopped in 2022.
Our sellers are scripting a success story
● Our sellers saved Rs. 3,700 crores in commissions in 2022, courtesy of our industry-first zero commission model.
● Digitizing SMBs across India: Meesho onboarded ~500,000 suppliers in 2022, with 61% of them new-to-e-commerce and selling online for the first time.
India’s shopping prime time
● Sundays are meant for unwinding — and it’s also the day when Indians indulged in online shopping the most in 2022. Last year, Wednesday was that day.
● 8 PM every day was shopping prime time for Meesho customers, a change from 2021 when 2-3 PM saw the most traffic.
● Millions of customers used local landmarks like ‘pipal ka ped’, ‘bargad ka ped’, ‘atta chakki ke peeche’ and ‘near water tank’ to help direct delivery personnel. Move over digital maps; there’s no competing with the accuracy of the desi navigation tool.
India is taking better care of itself
● ‘Smartwatch’ was the second-most searched product in 2022, showing how Indians are moving the needle on physical activity.
● Men are showing higher propensity than ever for grooming products, with more than 60% of orders coming from Tier 4 markets.
● Orders for sanitary napkins grew 9X in Tier 2+ cities, demonstrating how e-commerce is creating accessibility for millions of women in Bharat.
2022 shopping cart
● With 148 sarees sold per minute and demand coming in from all corners of the country, India’s love for the attire continues to grow.
● 93,000 t-shirts, 51,725 bluetooth earphones and 21,662 lipsticks were sold every day. Rajasthan stocked up on bluetooth earphones, Jharkhand snapped up extension boards, Haryana took a special liking to bluetooth earphones while Assam bought body lotions like nobody’s business.