Navi Mumbai Airport Completion Hits 70%, Eyes Operational Status by March 2025

Navi Mumbai, 18th June 2024: The Navi Mumbai International Airport (NMIA) is expected to commence operations by March 2025, as announced by Murlidhar Mohol, Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation.

Mohol indicated that about 70% of the construction at NMIA, initially scheduled for completion by December 2024, has already been finished. The remaining 30% is projected to be completed by March 2025.

Spanning across 1,160 acres, the NMIA project has an estimated total cost of Rs 16,700 crore. It will feature two runways positioned 1.55 kilometres apart from each other.

As the second airport in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR), NMIA aims to alleviate the capacity constraints currently faced by Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport.

The new airport is expected to significantly impact the region’s aviation landscape by immediately increasing passenger handling capacity by 40%. Initially conceived in 1999, the construction of the Navi Mumbai Airport began in 2017.